Everyone loves mac n cheese, right? I mean, what’s not to love about a thick, warm cheese sauce drizzled over top of macaroni? As a kid, I loved making Kraft Dinner from the box. However, looking back now, that stuff is not healthy at all, and it has so many additives and gross ingredients that I wouldn’t even consider boxed KD food. Lucky for me, I discovered homemade VEGAN mac n cheese.
This version doesn’t contain any bad stuff. No milk, no cheese, no additives, no problem. Instead of using dairy cheese, you use a bunch of different ingredients to get that cheesy taste and texture, one special ingredient being nutritional yeast.
Did you know that nutritional yeast is one of the only natural sources on this planet to contain vitamin B12, a vitamin that is very difficult to find in foods and that many people, vegans and non-vegans alike, are deficient in? How awesome is that!
Nutritional Yeast contains also B vitamins, folic acid, selenium, zinc, and protein. It’s low in fat, and contains no added sugars or preservatives.
Along with nutrional yeast, this recipe also requires turmeric which is a great superfood, especially when you’re feeling sick or low on energy.
So this dish is basically super healthy 😉
This recipe is super easy to make, and takes less than 20 minutes. The cheese sauce is a large batch, so feel free to store the extra in a tupperware container and have it throughout the week. You can even use it on other things, like nachos, burritos, etc.
Well, without further adue, let’s get onto it, shall we?
- 4 cups macaroni
- 3/4 cup soaked cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritonal yeast
- 1/2 a sweet potato (baked/boiled)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (may need to add more based on how thick/thin you want the sauce)
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. tomato pasta or ketchup
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. tumberic
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- You're going to need a pot and a high speed blender or food processor.
- Begin my measuring out 4 cups of dry macaroni and pouring into boiling water.
- While the macaroni is cooking, you can begin making your sauce. First, add in 3/4 cup SOAKED cashews (These should be soaking in water for at least 5 hours prior to making the recipe)
- Peel and cut up half of a sweet potato, and boil in water, or microwave for 3 minutes (or until soft)
- While the potato is boiling, add all of the ingredients into the blender. Save the non-dairy milk for last, as you will need to add more or less depending on the consistency that you'd like your sauce to be. If you like it thick, add in less milk. If you want it thin, add more milk.
- Add in your sweet potato and blend everything together until smooth. You can play around and adjust to consistency to how you desire.
- Once the macaroni is finished cooking, drain it in the sink. Pour macaroni back into the pot, and pour on your cheese sauce.
- Mix it together well, and serve.