What I am about to show you just may very well change your life as you know it. I’m talking major change. I’m talkin doughy crust, melted cheesy, warm vegetable goodness change. I present to you: my vegan pizza.
Yeah, you heard me; pizza, that is vegan. “Wait, but how is it vegan if it has cheese on it?” Daiya my friends. Daiya.
So you’re probably wondering how I made this baby? Well, luckily I had my camera with me to record every step of the way. Take a look.
Before you begin making this, I just want to put it out there that it was quite tedious. You have to make your crust from scratch which kind of took a while. Maybe 45 minutes to an hour. But was it worth it? Hell yes. Let’s get started.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds, 6 tbsp water (chia egg)
- tomato paste
- daiya (vegan cheese)
- red pepper
- green pepper
- black olives
- Begin by washing your head of cauliflower. Break it into smaller pieces and stick it into your food processor.
- Blend until you have a rice like texture.
- Remove the cauliflower from the food processor, add it to a pot, fill with water until it's all covered, then boil on high for 5 minutes.
- Once it's boiled, remove from the burner and drain it over the sink to get all of the water out.
- Move the mixture into a bowl and stick it in the freezer for 10 minutes. This is the time I used to tidy up the kitchen a bit, and preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- *Also take this time to prepare your chia seed egg. It's so easy, all you do is add 2 tbsp. of chia seeds into a bowl, and add 6 tbsp. of water, then just let it sit and thicken*
- Remove from the freezer, and place your mixture on a thin dish towel. Roll it into a ball, and squeeze it out over the sink to remove all of the excess water. You can see this step as pictured. (ring it out out really well)
- Place it into a mixing bowl. Check on your chia seed egg which should be nice and goopy by now.
- Measure out 1/2 cup of flaxseed meal and pour into your bowl. Also add your chia seed egg and some spices like garlic and oregano, and stir everything together well.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and stick your dough onto it.
- Roll it out and flatten with your hands. Stick this in the oven for 30 minutes.
- *Note: after 30 minutes if the crust is still flimsy, place another piece of parchment paper on top, and flip it over, and cook for another 15 minutes*
- TOPPING TIME!
- While this is cooking for 30 minutes, you have time to prepare your toppings.
- Just wash and cut up all of your veggies. We also have this cool olive de-seeder in our house that pops out the seed, so then I could easily chop them into thin little pieces.
- Once your pizza is finished cooking for 30 minutes, bring it out and begin adding your toppings.
- First begin with your tomato paste. Spread it on nicely and leave room for the crust.
- Next add your vegan cheese, OR you could just as well not put any cheese on at all!
- Sprinkle on those veggies!
- Once everything is on, stick it back in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- When it's finished, remove from the oven, smell the delicious goodness in the air, stand back and marvel at the beauty, THEN DIG IN!