Homemade cereal – I don’t know how I didn’t think of this sooner. I’d say that cereal with milk is a pretty classic American breakfast. People have been leaping out of bed and chomping down on this in their kitchen for years! So I thought I’d take this classic breakfast and turn it healthy! (and vegan)
I know what you’re thinking: isn’t cereal a healthy breakfast? Well… not necessarily. Most cereals are loaded with tons of artificial flavours and refined sugars – totally not good for you. But we eat these things because they are sugary and they taste good – oh and the box says “80% less fat than the leading brand” “part of a well balanced breakfast”.
So here’s my personal spin on breakfast: homemade granola and banana mylk.
- 2 cup oats (you can use gluten free if you wish)
- 6 pitted dates
- sunflower seeds
- dried cranberries
- 4 tbsp. coconut sugar
- Pour your oats into a large mixing bowl.
- On a cutting board, begin to cut up mixed nuts such as cashews, almonds and walnuts. Add them into the mix.
- Cut up 6 pitted dates (or more) and add these in along with some dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and any other seed you want. Also add in 4 tbsp. of coconut sugar and mix everything together well.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit and place them in to bake for 20 minutes.
- Let the granola cool for 20 minutes, then move to a mason jar or other container to store.
- ripe bananas
- 2 ice cubes
- Peel open a banana and add it into your blender.
- Add in 1/2 cup of water and a 2 ice cubes, and blend together until you reach a milk texture.
- You can use this yield for a small amount, or if you want more, you can use this yield: (this is what I did)
- 3 bananas
- 2 cups water
- 2 ice cubes