When breakfast time roles around each day, I prefer to make something cold and refreshing. Usually I stick to fruit or a smoothie of some sort, whether that me a smoothie/smoothie bowl/nana ice cream. However, one of my absolute favourite breakfast meals is an acai bowl.
You’ve probably heard of acai (pronounced ah-sa-ee). It’s a super healthy berry that contains a whole lot of antioxidants that are amazing for your body. Not only is it nutritious, but it tastes great, hence why the acai bowl is so popular.
Well, let’s get into it then.
- 1 package of frozen acai (I use http://www.sambazon.com/products/) OR 1-2 tsp. of acai powder.
- 2 frozen bananas
- orange juice
- almond milk
- optional: fruit of choice (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, mango)
- Before you make your acai bowl, you're going to want to have pre-frozen bananas ready to go. I like to buy a bunch of bananas, wait till they're spotty and ripe, then freeze them.
- Place your bananas in a high speed blender, and add your acai. (either the frozen package or the powder)
- Next, if you'd like, add in whatever other fruit you desire. I always like to add some frozen fruit from a package, preferably the mixed berry. (rasp, strawb, blueb, black)
- Depending on the consistency you want, you need to add in almond milk and orange juice. I only add in a tad bit of orange juice, then pour as much almond milk as I think I need. If i want the bowl to be thicker in consistency, I add less liquid.
- Finally, you blend it all together until it comes out creamy and smooth, and you can add your toppings of choice. Acai bowls taste great topped with banana and homemade granola!