You’ve probably heard of nana ice cream before. And if you haven’t, well, it’s a very popular creation in the vegan community. It’s basically vegan ice cream made from one ingredient: BANANAS.
When I initially heard about this concoction, I thought: “how do you make ice cream from only bananas?” Well, it’s very simple. You wait until your bananas are spotty and ripe, then you peel them, cut them up if you desire, and freeze them overnight. Once they are frozen, you just blend them in a high speed blender, add in your desired flavouring, and voila! Ice cream!
I am telling you right now, this is the simplest treat you will ever make. And it tastes just like ice cream – maybe even better. The best part is that it’s healthy, and dairy-free! For this recipe, you just need two ingredients: strawberries and bananas.
- 3-4 frozen bananas
- .5 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 tbsp. almond milk
- Prior to making your ice cream, you're going to want to cut up and freeze bananas. Make sure they are ripe and spotty (that's when the have the best digestion and most antioxidants) I usually do this at night time and freeze a lot at a time so that I have some ready when I need them.
- In the morning, or whenever you're about to make your Sundae, remove the bananas from the freezer and add them to a high speed food processor. (Don't try using a small or weak blender as it could result in a broken blade or motor)
- Pulse bananas into little chunks, then add 2 tbsp. of almond milk. (You can add more if you want it more as a soft serve)
- Add in half a cup of frozen strawberries and blend again.
- Scoop into a bowl or cup and serve right away,
- If you have a strong food processor, you can just add your frozen fruit and pulse until you reach a creamy ice-cream consistency. I wouldn’t advise trying to make these if you don’t have a food processor.
- Also, you may add a little bit more almond milk to help with the consistency if they are really frozen.
- Usually I just scoop it straight from the food processor into my glass, but if I have other things to prepare, like fruit or sauce, I stick it in the freezer to keep it cool until I’m ready to decorate it.
- If you prefer a more frozen texture, add less liquids and serve right away. I sometimes like mine as more of a soft serve, so I add more liquids.